Sunday, July 1, 2007

Handicap

So instead of driving to San Antonio, I decided to ride the greyhound bus. Along the way, the bus picked up an older lady at Katy. This was the first time I saw the bus use the ramp to lift and load a wheelchair into the compartment. Her chair was strapped and locked in. It was fascinating to see because the other day I went to a driver rehab with my class discussing about people with disabilities learning how to drive. The bus continued its route and everybody settled in their seat. From the corner of my eye, I glanced over to see how the older lady was doing. Her chair was the basic folding wheelchair with a homemade padding. She held her bags on her legs and stared quietly at her feet. It was as though she wanted to disappear.

Normally, I don't approach strangers and chat, but for some reason I felt a bit of curiosity. I wondered if she wanted her bag put up so she would have to hold it. So, I asked. She shook her head and declined my offer. I introduced myself as an OT student and talked to her about various topics from music, movies, family, etc. It was sad when she said..."I'm an English teacher...well, I was an English teacher." Her husband passed away about 10 years ago and she has no kids. She currently lives with a caretaker. But, she sadly said that she might have to find another place to stay because her caretaker was getting too old to transfer her. She had a little difficulty talking because I think she was ataxic. I'm guessing she had a stroke since she I didn't dare ask what her condition was. Then, she asked that she would like for her bag to be put up after all. I gladly agreed to move it for her and continued our conversation.

After a while, she softly spoke, "I'm not very good talking to people." I asked her if she wanted me to stop and she answered yes. So I respectfully agreed and went about my business.

However, during the trip the older lady initiated some small talk a couple of times. She asked for my name and who was picking me up. I answered happily and asked the same questions back. When we arrived at our destination and everyone got up to leave. I unexpectedly hear her say goodbye as I prepared my bags to leave the bus. I turned around and saw a smile on her face. I said goodbye to her as well and wished her a good weekend. For a moment, I wish I could had helped her, but I knew I wasn't in a position to or qualified, yet. Seeing her initiate conversation with me made me feel I might have made a small difference in her day.

On a happier note, I found this clip. Handicap people dancing. It's amazing to see.

Handicapped Dance Contest Click on link


-Violeta

2 comments:

Alvin Chung said...

being an ot student opens our eyes to the subtle yet important features of others and help us redefine "normalcy!" continue to reach to everyone, v!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Alvin. Post up some stories you pick up in San Diego. I'm sure you'll have many to tell.