Sunday, October 28, 2007

From Jordan's Corner

My FW II Experiences:

Phys Dys- Methodist in the Med Center Supervisor: name available upon request
The hospital was a great learning environment. Somewhat fast, so I thought at the beginning, and seeing a wide variety of diagnosis. Lots of stroke, hip replacements, debility, a few amputations and cognitive/mental disabilities. Great staff (5 previous TWU students) and great real life-like areas to train/practice with your patients. (living room, apartment, two different walk in bathrooms and kitchen area) However, my CI was NOT good!! She was spiteful and belittling! She did not teach well at all and rolled her eyes at many of my questions. She put me on the spot in front of patients and other staff members. I cried on multiple occasions and seriously thought about quitting! Are you excited!! I have reported her to the directors at Methodist (Others actually saw how badly I was being treated and reported her and then I just confirmed it) and have e-mail Sher Harnish about the situation. As far as I know, she will not be getting any more TWU students, but if any of you should get her please e-mail and I will give you a pep talk before during and after your rotation!!

Peds-Helling Children's Center Supervisor-Lynnette Molkentin
I LOVE this place!!! Everyone is sooo kind and helpful and really encourages me! There are 4 SLP, 1 PT and 2 OTs. Everyone is fairly young and works well together. Most of the kids are developmentally delayed, autistic, dyspraxic or have a specific syndrome. We so some SI, Therapeutic Listening, some NDT, general strengthening/increasing endurance/coordination and fine motor skills. It is on the East side so most of the children and parents speak spanish, but I'm getting by not knowing much at all! (Seriously Hola and muy bien are almost all I know.) My CI is super sweet and is always here for me when I need to review something or ask a question. They gave me the day off to go to TOTA and we get off at 3 on Fridays. We have two gyms and then each therapist has an office that you treat the kids in when you are doing handwriting or fine motor/visual motor stuff. I love it here and would recommend it to anyone!! I have been given an offer here and I am seriously considering working here!! Maybe I could be your CI haha!!:)

Hope this is helpful!

Jordan
(MOT5)

1 comment:

Alvin Chung said...

Thanks, Jordan, for the great insight! Muy bien!